Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa- Ep. 1



Hi everyone, 
I went grocery shopping and the moment I walked into the store there was a massive amount of mangoes that were nicely displayed on a table. Needless to say my stores mission was accomplished- they sucked me right in because I immediately began to fill up my cart with the beautiful mangoes. Mangoes are one of my favorite fruit. Believe it or not I had a really crazy addiction to them- I just had to have one everyday which lasted about a month! (Ha-ha) Not only are mangoes delicious on their own but boy did they taste delicious in the mango salsa I put together with the fish tacos I made. The fish I used were Tilapia  fillets -however use the fish you prefer or have on hand. I cooked the fish with some extra virgin olive that I infused with some freshly minced garlic, fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder- yes, I did double duty on the garlic -I love garlic as you can probably already tell. It didn't overpower the flavor of the fish at all as I used both the fresh and powdered garlic sparingly. The mango salsa I put together were from ingredients I already had on hand which included the mango I had just bought, Roma tomato, green bell pepper, finely chopped onions and cilantro, freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper. The colors of the salsa looked so beautiful and the flavors paired beautifully with the tilapia. The aroma in my kitchen was intoxicating as the fresh garlic was cooking with my fish. My poor cat Oreo didn't know what to do with himself, as he too, was enjoying the deliciousness going on in my kitchen!  I love this recipe for a number of reasons- it's quick, simple, fresh, light and most importantly delicious! I hope you enjoy!

Fish Tacos:

4 Tilapia fillets
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil ( I used a garlic infused olive oil I made at home and included the freshly minced garlic)
1/2 of the Juice of a lemon
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Tortillas of your choice (corn, flour, whole wheat)


Instructions:

1. In a skillet add extra virgin olive and add Tilapia and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon on both sides.
2. Last couple of minutes of cooking time add the freshly minced garlic.
3. Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes per side or until your fish flakes apart easily with a fork.
4. Once Tilapia is cooked place it in a bowl and roughly pull it apart with two forks until preferred size chunks of fish is reached.
5. Assemble taco and top with the mango salsa. 

Mango Salsa: 

1/2 Mango
1 Roma tomato
1/2 Green pepper
1/2 tbsp spoon of finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp of  Chopped cilantro
1/2 of the Juice of a lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Dice mango, tomato, green pepper, finely chop onion and cilantro.
2. Add all of the chopped ingredients into a bowl add lemon juice, salt, and pepper and mix well.
3. Serve on top fish tacos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment