Sunday, September 8, 2013

Baked Chicken Taquitos- Ep. 5


Hey Everyone,

I had some leftover chicken from the night before and as I mentioned before I really try my hardest not to let any food go to waste. I just love it when I can reinvent another meal from leftovers and the leftover chicken I had worked great for this recipe.Which brings me to why I decided to make these delicious baked chicken taquitos. Taquitos are typically fried however I really try to avoid eating anything fried- so baking these were the way to go and they didn't disappoint!  I shredded the boneless skinless chicken breasts (use whatever chicken you have on hand) and added a 1/3 less fat of cream cheese and a blend of Mexican cheeses. The cream cheese really keeps the chicken very nice and moist without overpowering any of the other flavors. I used flour tortillas simply because I was out of my whole wheat tortillas but none the less they were very tasty. I then filled my tortillas and rolled them tightly and lightly brushed some olive oil on top and  put them in my oven and before I knew it dinner was served! I topped off the taquitos with a homemade salsa and a dollop of reduced fat sour cream. Not only is this meal delicious, it's cost effective, quick, simple and the best part was that I was able to achieve the crispiness I was looking for without the guilt of all of the unnecessary calories a traditional taquito has. Enjoy!

Baked Chicken Taquitos

Ingredients:

Cooked shredded chicken (I used 3 chicken breasts)
1/4 cup 1/3 less fat room temperature cream cheese
3/4 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
1/2 tsp Olive oil
Optional: Fresh salsa and a dollop of reduced fat sour cream

Instructions:

1.Preheat oven 350F.
2.Lightly spray baking pan with cooking spray.
3.In a bowl add chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese and combine well.
4.Put tortillas in microwave for about 30-40 seconds to soften them so their easy to roll.
5.Add chicken filling to your tortilla and tightly roll to form taquito.
6. Place taquitos in your baking pan and lightly brush olive oil on the tops of the taquitos.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes half way through the baking time give taquitos a flip and give another light brushing of olive oil to achieve a nice crisp, and finish baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment