Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Portobello Burgers- Ep. 3



Hi everyone,

I was in the produce section of my grocery store and came across an amazing selection of mushrooms. However, the ones that were yelling at me to take them home were the Portobello's. They looked too nice to leave behind! I immediately decided to make Portobello burgers.

When I explained to John (my sweety) how the Portobello was going to act as the "meat" of the burger-immediately he was skeptical. Coming from him- the biggest meat lover I know- the pressure was definitely on. I really wanted him to see that he could still enjoy a tasty "burger" without all of the extra fat. I cooked the portobello's, along with some red and green peppers along with some onions. I then decided cook up a few slices of turkey bacon and made an avocado spread (recipe below). Once the Portobello's were cooked I placed a slice of muenster cheese on John's burger  and  since John's not big on red and green peppers he opted for Romaine lettuce and Roma tomatoes along with the other fixings. As for my burger  I added a slice of smoked cheddar cheese and the green and red peppers along with the rest of my ingredients.  I paired my Portobello burger with some homemade Parmesan Cajun wedges ( recipe will be on a separate blog post). Once he took his first bite I was given a thumbs up! I did it! I made a delicious and almost vegetarian dinner for my meat lover/ food critic! lol  I really do enjoy eating meat, however I just wanted to make something that was tasty yet a bit healthier, and boy did I deliver, if I don't say so myself lol.  We truly did enjoy this burger, I hope you do too.  Please keep in mind that I usually cook for two, however this recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. The beauty of cooking is that you can make any recipe into your own. Below is the recipe, feel free to swap out any of the veggies I used for ones you may prefer or have on hand. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. Thank you for spending time with me!

Portobello burgers

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. of Extra virgin olive oil
2 Portobello mushrooms
1/2 Red pepper
1/2 Green pepper
1/2 Medium onion (of your choice)
4 Slices of turkey bacon (or your preferred bacon)
2 Slices of cheese (I used smoked cheddar and muenster cheese)
2 Burger buns
Optional: Romaine lettuce and Roma tomatoes


Instructions:

1. Using a spoon to scoop out and remove gills, and cut the stems from Portobello's.
2. Using a damp paper towel wipe the tops of the mushrooms to assure they're clean. 
3. Halve the peppers, and onion then onion cut in to rings. 
4. In a warm skillet add extra virgin olive oil.
5. Add Portobello's and the rest of the veggies. Cook until fork tender. 
6. In a separate pan cook bacon. 
7. Once the Portobello's are cooked place your preferred cheese on top of the mushroom so that it can quickly melt, stack the rest of the veggies.   



Avocado spread

Ingredients:

1 Avocado 
2-3 Pinches of kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)


1. Slice avocado in half cube it in shell and scoop into a bowl with a spoon. 
2. Add the salt and pepper 
3. Using a fork mash the avocado until you form a spread / paste consistency.

Lightly toast your burger buns and on each bun  spread on the avocado spread and assemble your burger.

Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment